On May 30th my mom, Skyler, and I went on a drive to locate a camping area for our upcoming camping trip on June 4th and 5th. We were looking around by Heber Valley. As we were leaving one of the camp areas, while I was looking out the window, I saw this yellow thing run by our car. It was a baby duck all alone. I thought, hmmm... that is weird that there is a baby duck with out his mommy. I had mom stop the car so I could go and catch it. As I came closer to the frightened duck it started to run faster. I was so close to catching it several times but it would slip out of my hands. I called for mom to come and help me. She runs up the hill and on her first try she catches it. I stood on the hill looking around to see if I could see or hear any other ducks. I didn't see or hear any. The closest river was several miles away and there was no way the car or the duck was going to make it. I asked my mom to get a box and the only thing she had was a cereal bowl. I cupped my hands around it and held him over the bowl. The ride home was about a 1-1/2 hour drive. This poor little duck just shivered in my hands and every so often it would stop and sleep. My mom called Dave and told him that he was a proud father of a baby duck named Lucky. Dave said, "you got to be crazy, we can't have animals in our apt." I told him its not an animal it is a bird. When we got home I got a box and a lamp to put over its bed. I really wanted to keep this duck, but I knew I couldn't. I looked at websites to figure out if I could take this duck to the pond and hope that one of the other ducks would care for it. Well, I found out that they would kill it. I also found out that it was less then 2 weeks old because it still had it's down feathers. I called my friend Danielle from work to see if she had any ideas what to do with it. I didn't know what to do with this duck, and I can't keep it and if I take it to the pond the other ducks will kill it. I was bummed, and I thought I was doing good in the world. A few moments went by and my phone rang. It was Danielle, she said that her dad would take it if I didn't want it anymore. "Yes," I would love to give it to him. Britnie and Spencer came over to see it and to hold it in the car while we took it to Danielle's. I know that this duck will have a happy life living with the chickens. He is one Lucky Duck.
On Monday at work Danielle comes up to me and says, "I am sorry your duck died on Sunday". At least I tried. It would have been killed by an Eagle or some other animal. At least it died in a warm bed and on a full stomach. RIP
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
"Lucky" Duck
Posted by David and Stacie at 7:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment