Wednesday, July 23, 2014

First stitches

I never knew that when I woke up this morning that we would be in the hospital by the afternoon getting you stitches on your chin.

You were getting out of the car at Kohl’s parking lot. I was right in front of you and it happened all too quick. Your foot got suck on the edge of the door frame and you landed belly first. Hitting your chin on the hard asphalt and you screamed. I picked you up, Nana and Spencer came running over. We examined you and when we looked under your chin we knew that you needed to go get stitches. We all piled in the car and drove to the Orem Community Hospital.
 
On our way there you were scaring us because you weren’t acting like yourself. You fell asleep on the way there. For being 1 pm surprisingly we walked right in. The doctor examined your chin and said since it was a jagged cut that it needed to be stitched up.  Nurse Tori was so good to us, giving all the information we needed to make the right decision. She talked about our options of either giving you a forgetful shot {where you will not remember getting stitched up} or having 4 nurses come and hold you down. I then started to cry. Being a mother and making the best choice for you is difficult.  Nana and I talked and we felt that we should give you the forgetful shot. Gramps came to be with you. I just could not bare to be with you while you got fixed.
 2014-06-11 13.21.30
Trying to distract you while we talked about options and waiting for Gramps.
2014-06-11 13.26.312014-06-11 13.28.472014-06-11 13.29.542014-06-11 13.33.31
You started to cry when I left. I felt horrible leaving, but I knew I wouldn’t do so well. Gramps held your hand and tears streamed down your face when they injected the forgetful medicine in your leg. About 1/2 hour later. Gramps came and got me. I walked in the room to see you asleep on the bed.
2014-06-11 14.11.202014-06-11 14.11.252014-06-11 14.32.51
Nurse Tori said it could take anywhere from 20 - 90 minutes to wake up. You were in and out of it. The minute you opened your eyes fully I picked you up. The first words you said when you could sort of talk was "Mommy?  That made me cry." It was so darn cute. You had no control of your body movements. Your head was like a new born and I had to hold it until the medicine started to wear off more.

When you were waking up from the sleep medication you were saying the funniest things.

*Nana you have a robot behind you.
*My arm is green throw it away in the garbage.
*Garbage, Garbage, Garbage, over and over again in a robot voice.
* Nana you have green popsicles on your glasses.
* I am a robot. A robot.  in a robot voice.}
* Nurse Tori asked you how you were doing and you said, “throw me in the garbage.”

By 3:15 pm we were released from the hospital. On the way home you were crying and saying you wanted out of the car. You were feeling nauseated. I brought you inside and gave you a popsicle and cooled you off. By 5:30pm you were up and walking.

The next morning you woke up happy and ready to go. Throughout the day you kept asking me why I left you with Gramps and why you cried and how you got stitches.

I walked out of the Hospital with an over whelming feeling that life is so precious. This isn’t our life and we could be taken back home anytime. I am so grateful that you had no other injuries and you are here with us today.

For 5 days we prepped you and talked about how the nurse was going to take out your stiches with scissors.   Monday June 16th, at 10 am, we went to the hospital with dad to get your stiches out.
At first you were pulling away from the nurse and Dad held your head and I sat by your side. You calmed down when you found out it didn’t hurt. Once you were done you got to pick either stickers or a cookie. You walked out of the hospital with medical tape on your chin that will fall of with in 2-3 days and Oreos. You were such a brave boy.

0 comments: